Travel Information to Sacred Land Sanctuary • Crestone, CO
Way of Nature program dates typically begin and end with a 'travel day,' during which there will be no official training. This gives you the opportunity to come to the SLS, set up camp, meet your fellow Sacred Passagers, purchase any last minute supplies in town, and adjust to your new environment. Most people plan to arrive sometime in the afternoon, but arrival time is flexible based upon your travel needs.
If you will be flying into Denver, you will need to arrange transportation to Crestone (a 4 hour drive). There are many car rental agencies available from the airport, but we recommend taking the Black Hills Stage Lines Shuttle that runs to Moffat, as you will not need a car once you're here. Once you arrive in Moffat, we can arrange to have someone come pick you up at the shuttle drop off. Please let us know ahead of time if you choose this method, and send us your itinerary. Shuttle information is listed below.
If you are flying into Alamosa, please send your itinerary to your program coordinator so that a ride for you can be arranged.
Denver International Airport (DIA) to Denver Bus Station in downtown Denver (to catch Express Arrow bus to Moffat)
Denver Bus Station in downtown Denver to Moffat via Express Arrow bus lines
Express Arrow runs a bus that travels daily between Denver and Moffat. Please arrive at the pick-up location 30 minutes prior to departure. Tickets are $34.50 each way and can be purchased by online. Website: http://expressarrow.com/
Denver to Moffat • Fare $37.00:
- 1:45pm at Denver Bus Center / Greyhound Bus Terminal • 1055 19th St. Denver, CO 80202 • 303-293-6555
- 6:00pm in Moffat • 17555 Hwy 17 Moffat, CO 81143 The Sacred Land Sanctuary is just 20 minutes away. Please make sure you send your itinerary to the program coordinator ahead of time so that we can arrange a ride for you. We will be waiting to meet you with a big hug!
Moffat to Denver • Fare $37.00:
- 6:45am in Moffat • 17555 Hwy 17 Moffat, CO 81143
- 11:00am at Denver Bus Center / Greyhound Bus Terminal • 1055 19th St. Denver, CO 80202 • 303-293-6555
For the return route, you should arrange your flight to leave no earlier than 2pm (3pm for International Flights), as you will need to allow time to take the RTD east bound "University of Colorado A Line" to Denver International Airport (DIA) after taking the shuttle bus that morning from Moffat. View the schedule from Denver Bus Center to DIA here.
Getting to Crestone From Denver International Airport
Take Pena Blvd South/West for about 10 miles, until it merges into I-70 West. Take I-70 West for about 25 miles. Merge onto CO-470 E via Exit 260 toward Colorado Springs, and go 5.7 miles. Merge onto US-285 South toward Fairplay. Take 285 South through Fairplay, through Johnson Village, SOUTH, on 285 through Villa Grove (about 150 miles). After passing through Villa Grove watch for a turnoff from 285 to RT 17 on your Left. Take RT 17 through Moffat. As you are about to pass the southern end of Moffat look for a small sign for Crestone. You will turn Left on T Road heading East towards Crestone.
Getting to Crestone From Boulder
Take Hwy 93 (Broadway) South to US 6 East to C470 East to 285 South.Take 285 South through Fairplay, through Johnson Village, South, on 285 through Villa Grove (about 150 miles). After passing through Villa Grove watch for a turnoff from 285 to RT 17 on your Left.Take RT 17 through Moffat. As you are about to pass the southern end of Moffat look for a small sign for Crestone. You will turn Left on T Road heading East towards Crestone.
The GPS coordinates for the Sacred Land Sanctuary in Crestone, CO are: 38.011235, -105.696557 (Your GPS may consider this Westcliffe, but you will access this location through the town of Crestone)
Directions to Sacred Land Sanctuary from Crestone:
- From County Road T, continue to follow the main road into the town of Crestone, which becomes County Road 71, or Birch St.
- It will then take a sharp Right onto Golden Ave.
- Go straight through the 1st stop sign.
- At the 2nd stop sign, follow the main road on a sharp Left onto Alder St.
- Continue Straight through the next stop sign, and follow Alder St. as it becomes Spillway Rd, leading up a long straightway that runs parallel to the mountains.
- As the road bends to the right after the long straightway, keep an eye out for the Sacred Land Sanctuary sign on your right, next to the cattle grate. You're here!